Saturday, September 22, 2012

Practise with care - Passage Narration


English II; Question No. 5; Marks 5

1. Change the form of speech:
“Follow my example,” she said, as we shook hands, “and never eat more than one thing for
luncheon.”
“I’ll do better than that,” I retorted. “I’ll eat nothing for dinner tonight.”
“Humorist!” she cried gaily, jumping into a cab. “You are quite a humorist.”
2. “Where is my son?” said the grocer.
“A crow carried your son away” said the fruit-seller.
“You liar. How can a crow carry away such a big boy?”
“Just the same way as mice can eat away the balance and weights.”
3. “I can chop some wood today” said Jerry.
“But I have a boy coming from the orphanage” said the authoress.
“I am the boy.”
“You? You’re too small.”
“Size don’t matter chopping wood,” he said. “Some of the big boys cannot chop wood well.
I’ve been chopping wood at this orphanage a long since.”
4. “I’ve got GPA 5 in the HSC Examination,” said Sadia.
“Congratulation,” I said. “What do you intend to do now?”
“I want to study medicine,” Sadia replied. “I’ll try to get admission to a government medical
college.”
“Excellent! I wish you all success.”
“Thank you very much.”
5. Runa said to me, “Have you finished reading the book I gave you yesterday?”
“Yes, I’ve,” I replied.
“What an interesting book it is! I wish I could borrow the book earlier.”
“Will you return the book to me today?”
6. “Have you read the book? Where did you go yesterday?” asked Rahim.
“I have lost the book which you gave me. I went to bazar to buy that book but I did not find
it” said Karim.
“Don’t worry” said Rahim. “It’s nothing.”
“Thank you my friend.”
7. “My dear friend,” said the stranger, “I have come here because I have a message to give you.
Lend me your ears please.” “Let him say whatever he likes” said the old man. “Oh! What a
joy the message has brought for us.”
8. The teacher said, “Nabil, do you think that honesty is the best policy?”
“Yes sir, I think so.”
“Then learn to be honest from your childhood.”
“Thank you, sir.”
“May Allah grant you a long life.”
9. The teacher said, “Why are you talking in the class? Be attentive or you will cut a sorry figure
in the examination.” The student said, “I am sorry, sir.” The teacher said, “May Allah bless
you.” “Thank you, sir.”
10. “Alas!” said Miranda, “Do not work hard, my father is at his studies, he is safe for these
three hours. Rest yourself.” “O my dear lady,” said Ferdinand, “I dare not. I must finish my
work before I take my rest.”
11. “Have you heard the name of Aesop?” asked the teacher. “No sir, who was he?” “Read the
book attentively and you’ll be able to know about him. How interesting and instructive his
fables are!” said the teacher.
12. “May I come in sir?” “Yes, come in. What do you want?”said the manager. “I want to open
a bank account in your bank,” said the man. “Can you tell me the process of opening a
savings account?”
13. “Good morning, Ranu” said Sabuz, “How much preparation have you taken for the Test
Exam?” “A great preparation,” replied she. “I must get GPA-5.” “What a lucky girl you are!,”
said Sabuz. “But my preparation is not so good.”
14. “Can I have a look at your paper for a moment?” asked the man next to me. “I just want to
see the cricket results.” “I haven’t quite finished it,” I said. “Could you wait for a moment?”
“No, I can’t wait long,” he said. “I’m getting off at the next stop.” “Ok. You can have a
glance, but return it before you get down,” said I with an unsatisfied tone.
15. “I’ll pay for it,” he said. “I broke it. I brought the axe-handle down careless.” “But no one
hits accurately every time,” I said, “the fault was in the wood of the handle. I’ll see the man
from whom I bought it.”
16. “Will you buy my hair?” asked Della. “I buy hair,” said Madame Sofronie. “Take your hat
off and let me have a look at your hair.” “Twenty dollars” said Madame, lifting the mass with
a practised hand. “Ok, take my hair and give me that.”
17. “You look a little bit like my mother” he said, “especially in the dark by the fire.”
“But you were only four, Jerry, when you came here. You have remembered how she looked
all these years?” said the writer. “My mother lives in Manville,” said he.
18. Suddenly a voice called out, “Good morning, gentlemen. Where are you going and what are
you doing here?” “Oh, nowhere and nothing.” “But, you look so pensive, why?” “Yes, you
are right. We are looking for something,” replied the six blind men. “Who are you, sir?”
19. “Nabila, have you done your English lesson today?” said the teacher. “Yes, sir,” she replied.
“but I haven’t understood one grammatical point.” The teacher assured her saying, “Come to
my room: I’ll help you understand the point.” “Thank you, sir.” smilingly said she.
20. “What’s this?” said Mini. “It’s a digital camera. No film, no extra bothering. Excellent! It’s
only for you,” said Bini. “Oh, thanks a lot. It’s great!” “You’re welcome.”
21. “Don’t go any further,” he said to the king. “If you do, you will not be able to come back.”
“Go I must at any cost,” said Ulysses, “I must free my poor men from the cruel witch.” “Then
get ready to be beheaded” said he.
22. “James, I can tell you what strikes me as the most useful machine in the world,” said Joseph.
“Can you, Joseph? I should like to hear of it. What is it used for?”
23. “Good morning, sir I can’t stay in this place for a long period. The king has sent me to do a
very important work.” “Friend, tell me what your important work is. I can also help you,” the
man requested. “But I can’t tell you about this work,” replied the young boy.
24. “My sons, listen to me. A great treasure lies hidden in the land. I’m going to leave it to you.”
“How shall we find it?” said the sons. “You must dig the land for it,” said the old man.

No comments:

Post a Comment